Highly organized and deadline-oriented team player with 24 years experience in public relations and communications; and 12 years in web development, blogging and social media. • Adept at multi-tasking, prioritizing, and communicating with a variety of audiences, campaign creation implementation, the usage of Content Management Systems (CMS) and social media, conforming to branding and style guidelines. • Mastery of SLRs, video cameras, printers and scanners. • Software and computer skills include Adobe Creative Suite; CMS including WordPress and Adobe CQ5, HTML, cascading style sheets (CSS), quick response (QR) coding and web analytics; Microsoft Office Suite and Quickbooks. • Social Media and email marketing knowledge encompasses Facebook; Twitter; Tumblr; Pinterest; Instagram; MailChimp; ConstantContact; Blogger; EventBrite; Socializer; Google Analytics and HootSuite. • Managerial capabilities include art direction and supervising employees, interns and student workers.
Radford University College of Visual and Performing Arts
Communications Officer • Radford, VA • 2012–Present.
Responsibilities include handling communications public relations, and websites for a college, five departments and an art museum; maintaining and creating content for media releases, website, campus television monitors and social media. This involves writing, photography, graphic design and light videography; adhering to AP style when applicable; overseeing new branding implementation for the college; supplying design or art direction for arts campaigns and pitching stories to regional media.
- Write and edit “This Week in the Arts,” a weekly eNewsletter
- Create and implement communications plan for the college
- Coordinate annual schedule of events for the college (in print, website, Facebook events, and outside calendars)
- Write and photograph for the Radford University Magazine (CASE District III Conference winning team member for a Special Merit Award in the Magazine Tabloid Improvement category and an Award of Excellence for its Summer 2015 edition in the print and digital publications category)
- Supervise student designers who provide graphic needs for the college (one of whom won a District 3 Student ADDY Award)
King Smith Studio
Principal • Pulaski, VA • 2011–12.
Responsibilities included public relations; writing and editing; social media strategizing and research; editorial and graphic content development and maintenance; website design, creation and maintenance; CMS and social media consulting; client communications and customer service; public relations and photography.
- Website design, programming and creation for the Tiny Picture Company (www.tiny-picture.com) and the Kegley Library at Wytheville Community College
- Content management for the Wythe branch website of the American Association of University Women (AAUW)
- Projects included developing and maintaining social media content, website, blog and public relations for Ken Smith Historical Art
L.S. King Productions
Writer and Photographer • West Virginia, Maryland, and Tennessee • 1990 to 2011.
Publications have included The Tennessee Conservationist, Atlantic University’s Intuitive Connections online magazine; The Wythe County Historical Society Journal
Photography for The East Tennessee Historical Society Journal, American Association of University Women, Wythe Branch; Media South; Ken Smith Historical Art; US Steel; East Tennessee Historical Society and Hungerford and Associates.
The Edith Bolling Wilson Birthplace Foundation and Museum
Executive Director • Wytheville, VA • 2009–2011.
Responsibilities included daily operation of the First Lady Edith Wilson museum and historic birthplace; public relations and communications including writing press releases; website and social media development and content management; exhibit design; curation of special exhibits; strategic planning; branding and implementation of style guidelines.
- Redesigned, programmed and maintained edithbollingwilson.org and social media sites
- Developed an educational twitter persona called Cecil, the Cyber Canary
- Designed, wrote, edited, and produced both a print newsletter and a monthly eNewsletter
- Received 2011 Google Adwords Grant
- Supervised graphic design interns from Radford University
- Programs featured in Virginia Living Magazine, Virginia Association of Museum’s
- publications, Roanoke Times, Smithsonian Magazine web site and various local media
Principal • Maryville, TN • 2005 to 2009
Responsibilities included website design and maintenance for an eCommerce site; blog design and content for two hypnosis blogs; edited and distributed eNewletter; public relations; promotional material design; podcast creation and production; and audio product creation and distribution (CDs and MP3s).
- Blogs won content awards from Izea and Hamilton Beech
- Created and produced two years of monthly podcasts
- Created 30 audio products in both CD and MP3 format
Calvert Marine Museum
Volunteer and Facility Use Coordinator • Solomons, MD • 1996–2005
Public Relations responsibilities included marketing the program; editorial oversight; and written and photographic contributions to a monthly newsletter; supervision of the museum’s first website and online museum tour; development of printed volunteer manual, and online scheduling; collaboration as a team member with education and development departments; and public relations and outreach for the volunteer/education events.
The Accokeek Foundation
Volunteer Coordinator and Living History Interpreter • Accokeek, MD • 1994–1996
Responsibilities included recruiting, retention, scheduling, training, and programming volunteer activities at the National Colonial Farm.
The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Membership Coordinator • Washington, DC • 1993–1994
Responsibilities included customer relations and problem-solving; marketing membership program and benefits; design and photography of membership materials; and editing and providing written content for member newsletters
Paradise Flats Gallery and Art Shelter
Executive Director/Co-owner • Charleston, WV • 1991–1993
Responsibilities included gallery oversight and management; public relations, graphic design of promotional materials; and press release writing.
- Radford University, Radford, VA • Master of Fine Arts in Photography/Printmaking. 2015 – in progress.
- Atlantic University, Virginia Beach, VA • Master of Arts in Transpersonal Studies. 2011.
- Shepherd University. Shepherdstown, WV • Bachelor of Fine Arts with a Concentration in Photography. 1990.